Mercury-Redstone 3 Freedom 7
- Mercury-Redstone 3 Freedom 7 was the very first American flight with a human on board.
- MR-3 had four main objectives while in space.
- To get humans use to a complete space flight experience including the lift-off, powered flight, weightless flight, re-entry, and landing phases.
- To evaluate man's ability to preform as a functional unit during flight.
- To study man's physiological reactions during space flight.
- To recover the astronaut and spacecraft.
- Alan B. Shepard. MR-3 took off at LC 5, Florida, USA on May 5, 1961 at 14:34:13 UTC. The craft landed later that same day only 15 minutes and 22 seconds later.