Data gathered by mr-3 freedom 7
Image above: View of Astronaut Alan Shepard inside the Freedom 7 capsule in preparation of the Mercury-Redstone 3 (MR-3) flight. Image Credit: NASA
- During the flight, Mercury Redstone 3 Freedom 7 attained a maximum velocity of 8,200 km/hour.
- The capsule landed 483 km downrange from Cape Canaveral in the Atlantic Ocean.
- The duration of the flight was 15 minutes and 22 seconds with weightlessness lasting about 5 minutes.
- The data gathered during this mission helped scientists better understand how much time an astronaut would need to prepare them self's for a mission.
- It also aided in the fact of how clean a take off should be and what someone can expect during re-entry.